At the moment you are viewing this site as a guest. In order for you to participate in this community we require you to create a free membership.

It takes less than a minute and all you need is a valid email address.

Click To Register >>>
ucp.php?mode=register

Nicki Minaj Cancels Saudi Arabia Concert For Women’s Rights

Talk about and share the latest gossip on your favorite rappers in pop culture.
HipHopNews

Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:18 pm

Nicki Minaj chose morality over money when she pulled out of Saudi Arabia’s Jeddah World Fest on Tuesday (July 9) that she was scheduled to headline.

The polarizing rapper became more informed on the strict gender policies of the Middle Eastern country and wanted to support women’s rights, the LGBTQ community and liberty.

“After careful reflection I have decided to no longer move forward with my scheduled concert at Jeddah World Fest,” the Queen author said in a statement to The Associated Press.
Minaj continued, “While I want nothing more than to bring my show to fans in Saudi Arabia, after better educating myself on the issues, I believe it is important for me to make clear my support for the rights of women, the LGBTQ community and freedom of expression.”

Gender segregation is still legal in Saudi Arabia and enforced in numerous restaurants, public schools and universities. More recently, women have been allowed to drive and attend events within sports stadiums.

The Queens-bred musician caught push back from the Human Rights Foundation and other supporters when she initially accepted the gig. The Foundation urged Minaj and the other performers to back out of the concert via open letter, asking her to “cancel your appearance as a symbol of solidarity with the ongoing suffering of the Saudi people.”

The non-profit organization praised Minaj for her change of heart. “This is what leadership looks like,” Thor Halvorssen, President Of The Human Rights Foundation said. “We are grateful to Nicki Minaj for her inspiring and thoughtful decision to reject the Saudi regime’s transparent attempt at using her for a public relations stunt,” he continued.

Previous entertainers who performed in Saudi Arabia include Jennifer Lopez, Mariah Carey, the Black Eyed Peas, Sean Paul and more. This isn’t the first time the Cash Money artist considered performing in a country against the Human Rights Foundation’s wishes.

In December 2015, she agreed to a show in Angola despite the backlash and responded to the criticism saying, “every tongue that rises up against me in judgement shall be condemned.”

HipHopstical
United States of America

Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:05 am

Good on her. So many people these days are fixed on saying there are issues in the US still for women and gays and that is BULL! There are women and gay folks suffering 100 x's worse than being called a hurtful name. They are legit being raped and killed. More people need to stop giving into these people until they learn to respect their own.
WishSlayr

Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:07 am

Yeah I support this 100%. I know Saudi Arabia is relaxing laws against women a little but they have a long way to go. This will make little difference but it is a start.
m3xtack

Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:51 am

WishSlayr wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:07 am
Yeah I support this 100%. I know Saudi Arabia is relaxing laws against women a little but they have a long way to go. This will make little difference but it is a start.
Hell yeah and it needs to start somewhere. What is a shame is that it was not always like this. Women did have more freedom there not too long ago but they took it back. I hope things start changing for them. It is 2019, this shouldn't be happening anywhere anymore.
Yo-She

Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:29 am

I am shocked they would even want her there with how provocative she is. Either way, I am happy. These people should not be rewarded for treating their women like less than dogs!
JakeB0MB

Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:39 pm

Yo-She wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:29 am
I am shocked they would even want her there with how provocative she is. Either way, I am happy. These people should not be rewarded for treating their women like less than dogs!
Same here. She is not shy to show off her body and it is no secret that people in Saudi frown upon this BIG time. I don't know how anyone can support them knowing how they treat their women. I get religious beliefs and traditions of the man being head of the house but they legit treat their own women like property.
skrilZZ
United States of America

Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:55 am

I read something about this place and others like it recently. The reason women are told to dress like this is because the men have no self-control. They are punishing the women by keeping them covered so they don't force themselves on the women sexually.
shad0ws

Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:30 am

skrilZZ wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:55 am
I read something about this place and others like it recently. The reason women are told to dress like this is because the men have no self-control. They are punishing the women by keeping them covered so they don't force themselves on the women sexually.
That's so messed up, rape is such a big issue in middle eastern countries as well. I wish countries would just cut ties with them, but we all know Saudi Arabia has the goods...