What do you think the current trends are for hip-hop albums and mix tapes?

The place for graphic designers to provide their mixtape artwork design services.
HipHopstical

Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:37 pm

If you look back you can see they changed quite a bit over the years. Back in the 90's, a lot of the focus of the cover art was focused on the actual artist/artists of the album. I think Kayne's approach kind of struck up a new trend with Colledge Dropout following all of his other albums.

What do you think the current trends are these days?
WishSlayr

Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:24 am

Looks that this list here: https://www.ranker.com/list/best-rap-al ... nker-music

You can scroll down and see a lot of current albums that are newer. To me, not much has changed here. A lot of them resemble 90's and 2000's albums even though it is 2018. I think all of this depends on the message you want to give. Some choose to be more urban, some more artistic or poetic, others just like using themselves in some fashion.
cryztals

Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:14 am

It is something that doesn't have a grounding. You can see all kinds of different mixtape art and illustrations from over the years and if you didn't know any better, you wouldn't be able to pick the years they came out. The only give away would be if they include style or whips on the covers.
m3xtack

Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:35 am

WishSlayr wrote:
Looks that this list here: https://www.ranker.com/list/best-rap-al ... nker-music

You can scroll down and see a lot of current albums that are newer. To me, not much has changed here. A lot of them resemble 90's and 2000's albums even though it is 2018. I think all of this depends on the message you want to give. Some choose to be more urban, some more artistic or poetic, others just like using themselves in some fashion.
I can see that. A lot of cover art looks like it can be from any time. Even newer albums. Like you can see some differences with the women. They are more sexualized now than in the 90's but the dudes still keep the same.
WishSlayr

Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:10 pm

m3xtack wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:35 am
WishSlayr wrote:

I can see that. A lot of cover art looks like it can be from any time. Even newer albums. Like you can see some differences with the women. They are more sexualized now than in the 90's but the dudes still keep the same.
Yup. I never really viewed cover art as a trend or something that comes and goes with trends. It is more art than anything.
JakeB0MB

Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:32 am

You can see styles on people change and get a feel for what the artist is going through in their mind. Though some pick out covers, many record labels choose the final cut, especially today, so it is hard to tell if something is truly creative by the artist or not.
Roach

Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:16 pm

From what I've seen, the current trend seems to focus around calling people out, or disstracks as people seem to call them. They are popular in the hip-hop scene and also in other scenes with people who don't even typically produce music. It's always been common to call people out, but I don't think I've seen it on this scale for a long time.