Mental Health Support Forum

Free and Open Support For Those Living With Mental Health Conditions

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to MHSF. Please do not feel afraid to join us to discuss any issues that may be affecting your daily life, we are all here to help each other and we want to provide a safe and secure space for communication regarding mental health no matter your race, religion or sexual orientation.

#1 2020-06-13 20:39:03

dividednationz

Explaining a panic attack to a friend?

I have had a few panic attacks in my life and they are the scariest things I have ever gone through. I tried to explain one to a friend and I couldn't get him to understand. I am not sure how or if I would even be able to get him to understand.

Is there a way I can explain this to a friend who never experienced one?

#2 2020-06-18 23:00:22

tigerbound

Re: Explaining a panic attack to a friend?

Well, tell your friend to picture an animal they are terrified of. Have them picture this animal chasing them down to kill them. Ask them to tell you how they think they would be feeling and how their body would be reacting. Now tell them that the animal isn't real. That is a panic attack.

#3 2020-06-26 00:37:24

lazytuesdays

tigerbound wrote:

Well, tell your friend to picture an animal they are terrified of. Have them picture this animal chasing them down to kill them. Ask them to tell you how they think they would be feeling and how their body would be reacting. Now tell them that the animal isn't real. That is a panic attack.

This is one of the best ways I have seen it described. It is hard to explain something like this to someone who has never had a panic attack. It is like asking a blind person to describe the color blue.

#4 2020-06-30 20:46:46

shatteredbits

It is hard to do unless the person really wants to understand. For a lot of people, they don't believe they are as strong as they can be. I knew someone who would lose feeling in her legs and not be able to walk. I usually just tell people it is an uncontrollable sensation of fear without a clear threat.

Board footer