Mental Health Support Forum

Free and Open Support For Those Living With Mental Health Conditions

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to MHSF. Please do not feel afraid to join us to discuss any issues that may be affecting your daily life, we are all here to help each other and we want to provide a safe and secure space for communication regarding mental health no matter your race, religion or sexual orientation.

#1 2020-06-28 23:31:52

RedRuuby

How can I help my family/friends understand?

My doctor told me that I have a milder case of bipolar but it still requires treatment. Most of my family and friends don't seem to believe that I have anything wrong with me others are acting like I am suddenly unfit to go out and do anything. It is very frustrating and heartbreaking. I am not sure what to do.

#2 2020-06-30 20:49:28

shatteredbits

Re: How can I help my family/friends understand?

I think in a lot of people's minds, being bipolar is thought to be a condition that requires you to be in a mental hospital and living in a padded cell. Most people who have bipolar get along just fine with life, it is just with more emotional extremes. Very few people are any danger to anyone else.

#3 2020-07-01 23:09:40

gregfritz

Re: How can I help my family/friends understand?

shatteredbits wrote:

I think in a lot of people's minds, being bipolar is thought to be a condition that requires you to be in a mental hospital and living in a padded cell. Most people who have bipolar get along just fine with life, it is just with more emotional extremes. Very few people are any danger to anyone else.

I agree with this. I really didn't entirely understand it myself until I asked more about it. It seems like it is fairly common and not everyone gets treatment for it but still manage to go on to form relationships and even have children.

Board footer